Anderson-Melby Motor Co.
Location: Block 4, Lot 13
Proprietor: Olaf Anderson
Year Started: 1916
Year Ended: 1930
History of Business: Olaf Anderson and O.K. Melby built a garage in 1916, known as Anderson-Melby Motor Co. They sold Fords, Overlands, and Willys Knights among other automobile brands to residents of Manfred. In 1919, O.K. Melby retired from business life and sold out to his partner, Olaf Anderson. It was renamed Anderson Motor Company. Olaf Roble worked for Olaf Anderson's Ford dealership in Manfred. Anderson later merged with Blanding Motors in Harvey, a Ford dealer, which later became a Chevrolet-Buick dealer under the name A. B. Motive Power Co. They also sold Case implements and Fordson tractors. In 1924, O. K. and M.K. Melby purchased the garage formerly known as the A-B Motive Power Co of Manfred. They named the business the Manfred Motor Co. Oscar Ongstad worked for them at that time. The Anderson Motor Co. garage building, the former livery stable just to the north of the above building was destroyed by fire in 1930. They sold Overlands at this location. Anderson’s home and garage just across the alley were saved. Olaf planned to rebuild soon but passed away on November 12, 1931, so the new building was not built. He was a very popular businessman in Manfred and greatly missed.
Olaf Anderson on the sidewalk with his implements.
Blue Daisy – Anderson-Melby Motor Co
Red rectangle - Manfred School
Blue rectangle - Vang Lutheran Church
Purple rectangle – Post Office/Bank
Green rectangle – Solheim Station