Manfred History & Preservation, Inc.
C.C. Melby Store
Location: Block 3, Lot 5
Proprietor: C. C. Melby
Year Started: 1908
Year Ended: ca 1936
History of Business: C. C. Melby built the largest store in Manfred, which sold groceries, dry goods, hardware and furniture on the ground floor. The top floor consisted of offices, apartments and a large hall for social events. One such office was that of Dr. P. A. Boyum who had an office there from 1909 – 1912. The upstairs of the C. C. Melby Hall was used as the Sons of Norway Hall from 1920 – 1926, when the S/N purchased the Burkum Store for their lodge hall. The Manfred Band put on entertainment in the C. C. Melby Hall. One occasion of note was held in 1929. C. C. Melby’s moved to California sometime after 1920. The contents of the building were sold in 1936 and the building was taken down in 1939.
Daisy – C.C. Melby Store
Red rectangle - Manfred School
Blue rectangle - Vang Lutheran Church
Purple rectangle – Post Office/Bank
Green rectangle – Solheim Station