Manfred History and Preservation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit.

© 2023 by MHP, Inc. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

First  State Bank of Manfred

Location: Block 3, Lot 6

Proprietor: T. L. Beiseker

Year Started: 1903

Year Ended: Fall 1919

History of Business: The First State Bank of Manfred was originally chartered September 18, 1898, as the Eddy County State Bank of New Rockford with capital stock of $6,000. Certificates issued by the Secretary of State October 20, 1902 changed the corporate name and location to the First State Bank of Manfred. T. L. Beiseker, born in Indiana was President. C. A. Beiseker was Vice President; Sophus Ongstad was the first Cashier in Manfred (1903-1908). He was succeeded by Roy C. Adams; Clara LeGrand was Assistant Cashier. At the close of business on January 31, 1910, the bank had deposits of $67,470.81 and total resources of $76,612.61. Ten years later, its statement for September 8, 1920 showed loans and discounts amounting to $153,416.05 total resources of $206,451.19, capital stock and surplus of $10,000 and total deposits of $186,687.26, of which $138,773.84 was in time certificates of deposit. The bank was taken over by the State Guaranty Bank of Harvey on February 9, 1925 and the order of dissolution was filed by the Secretary of State on April 13, 1925. The bank building was used as the business office for Anderson Motors and later as the Manfred Post Office. (source Wells Co Historical Bulletin). It is currently owned by MHP, Inc.

Daisy – First State Bank of Manfred

Reference points:

Red rectangle - Manfred School

Blue rectangle - Vang Lutheran Church

Purple rectangle – Post Office/Bank

Green rectangle – Solheim Station