Manfred History & Preservation, Inc.
Location: Block 4, Lot 8
Proprietor: John Nelson
Year Started: Property purchased in 1904
Year Ended: 1925
History of Business: John Nelson had this business in 1905. Early pictures show machinery on this corner. He was the International dealer in Manfred. The red dot is the building that housed this business. It was on the corner of Lake and Railroad. John’s daughter Lorraine died and when he came back to Manfred for the funeral in March of 1929 he was struck by a car and died in this accident. News article indicates 3 children buried in cemetery at Fessenden along with his wife. He was born in Denmark and homesteaded about 1893 in Manfred Township. December 1925 – John Nelson sold his Manfred Implement House to Gilman and Adolph Shirley. Richard Jorstad purchased the Shirley lot and building and opened a repair shop in September 1933. The Shirleys moved back to their farm in October 1934.
Daisy – Nelson Implement
Red rectangle - Manfred School
Blue rectangle - Vang Lutheran Church
Purple rectangle – Post Office/Bank
Green rectangle – Solheim Station