Manfred History & Preservation, Inc.
Location: Block 4, Lot 13
Proprietor: Jerrit Biever
Year Started: April 25, 1915
Year Ended: 1944
History of Business: The first Post Office was located in the first mercantile store run by Lars Burkum. In 1903 the post office was housed in the Willborg store. The post office was also located in the C. C. Melby Store, and a building north of the Johnson Place which became the Anderson Drug and later the Confectionery. There is a note in the 1905 Manfred News about Mary Roble’s absence from the post office for a brief period of time, so apparently she worked there at that time. The building pictured above was located between the Hotel Johnson and the Ford Garage. On May 3, 1894, Thorstein K. Rogne was installed as the first Postmaster in Manfred. He was followed by Issac L. Berge in March 1900; Swan N. Willborg, March 1902; Axel LeGrand, November 1906, George Gilbertson, May 1911; Gertrude LeGrand, March 22, 1912; Ole Ranum, January 1914, Ernest Braaten, February 1, 1921; Jerret Biever, April 1925. Oscar Ongstad purchased the Bank Building when he became postmaster in 1944 and this building was used until the post office was closed in October 1992. Edgar Flick was postmaster from 1964 to 1992. The old post office building was used as a brooder house for the turkeys at Harley Boese’s Farm.
Daisy – Post Office
Red rectangle - Manfred School
Blue rectangle - Vang Lutheran Church
Purple rectangle – Post Office/Bank
Green rectangle – Solheim Station