Manfred History & Preservation, Inc.
Renden Blacksmith Shop
Location: Block 4, Lot 11
Proprietor: Jens Renden
Year Started: ca 1902
Year Ended: 1943
History of Business: Gullik Dahle was the first blacksmith in Manfred; he came to Manfred in 1894 and lived until 1934. His blacksmith shop was located on the corner lot. In 1902, Renden purchased this property from Dahle (Block 3, Lot 6). On September 1905, T. L Beisker purchased this property from Jens Renden for the new bank. There was another blacksmith shop, this one run by Olaf Tansem, and later owned by Jacob Klev. This shop was on the site later occupied by the Cash Store (Block 3, Lot 9) Jens G. Renden came to Manfred in 1902. In 1905, when the corner lot was purchased by the Manfred State Bank, J. G. Renden bought a lot across the street - Block 4, Lot 11 and in December of that year opened the new blacksmith shop in this location. The hotel was soon built next door to the blacksmith shop. Jens prospered at his business of general blacksmithing and wagon making. His shop was very busy, which goes to show that his work suited the farmers. Olaf Tansem managed this shop together with Jens Renden for a while. Mr. Renden died in 1945.
Daisy – Renden Blacksmith Shop
Red rectangle - Manfred School
Blue rectangle - Vang Lutheran Church
Purple rectangle – Post Office/Bank
Green rectangle – Solheim Station